[Rt7study] Rt 7 - discussion & upcoming meeting

to advocate for cardinal glen'scontinued access to rt7 rt7study at cardinalglen.org
Sat Dec 4 13:53:24 EST 2021

All
Attached is a page from the final Rt7 Corridor Study report of Nov 8, 2021. It shows 2 items planned for Cardinal Glen Circle intersection:
1)    There seems to be a street off CGC eastward ending into the backyard of what appears “46732 Hollow Mountain Pl”. Can anyone explain this? Should this be taken up in the meeting of Dec 6th?
2)    It shows an overpass for RT7 Eastbound only;  My questions:
a.     Why not construct an overpass Westbound, especially when a signal is planned for Sterling Blvd; then CGC will have signalized lane with straight through to Sterling Blvd and left turn to Rt7 Eastbound.
b.    Is CG too small of a community to warrant a dedicated overpass? According to this report, all residential and commercial intersections east of CGC up to Dranesville Rd are full access (even Cedar Dr has Eastbound access to RT7 via Augusta or Community Plaza Dr).  If there were access from CGC to Augusta Dr, that would provide CG residents Eastbound access to Rt7 rather than having to cross 4 lanes for a U-Turn at Potomac View Rd (although I can’t conceive where that access would be.)
c.     Safety being paramount, if one were to make a U-turn at Potomac View Rd, my crude calculations are as follows:
                                                               i.      point to point (CGC to PV is 4/10th of a mile or around 2000 feet)
                                                            ii.      I assume CGC acceleration lane (RIGHT ln) would be around 500 ft, and the U-Turn deceleration lane at Potomac View (LEFT ln) would also be at least 500 ft.
                                                          iii.      That leaves less than 1000 ft to merge across 4 lanes of traffic already speeding at minimum 55 MPH (that’s 80 ft/sec)
                                                          iv.      Crossing the 4 lanes would have to be navigated within 13 seconds or less (VDOT assumes 2.5-3 seconds reaction time)
                                                            v.      QUESTION: Does the study believe this merge can be safely navigated? Has it been considered in the modeling?

BTW – here’s the link to the full report I mentioned
Route 7 Corridor Study Final Report (PDF) <https://lfportal.loudoun.gov/LFPortalInternet/0/edoc/558115/11-08-2021%20Route%207%20Corridor%20Study%20Report%20-%20Final%20Report.pdf>

Elias Khalil
(703) 862-6888 CELL